Choosing a manufacturer is one of the most critical decisions your company has to make. Suppliers must be dependable and highly skilled, as they ultimately hold the fate of your products—and even your company—in their hands.
This decision is significant, and there are many factors that need to be considered. To help you make the right decision, here are five things every company should look for in their suppliers.
- Compliance with industry standards. Industrial organizations set strict regulations for several manufacturing technologies and practices. By choosing suppliers that adhere to industry regulations, you are assured to receive the highest quality workmanship. Common standards include those from ISO, ANSI, ASME, MIL-SPEC, SAE, and other organizations.
- Ability to meet any production volume needs. Production needs vary from customer to customer; in some instances, a short production run is needed to fulfill an order, and in others, a longer run is needed. Good suppliers can handle volumes at either end of the spectrum, but truly exceptional suppliers can meet any production needs—from prototyping to high volume and everything in between.
- Faster lead times for products. In addition to manufacturing the right volume of products, suppliers must also deliver these products in a timely and efficient manner. To expedite the shipping process, many companies have adopted practices such as just-in-time (JIT) production and kanban; the goal of these practices is to supply products when the customer needs them.
- Additional service offerings. Experienced manufacturers should be capable of providing additional finishing services to support various products. Services such as heat treating, spot welding, surface grinding, plating, and others can complement your product by greatly improving its durability and aesthetic appeal.
- A record of proven results. Many companies claim to be top suppliers, but you shouldn’t just take their word on the matter. Notable suppliers have solid reputations built on quality results; if you’re interested in a certain supplier, ask to see portfolios of their past projects. By examining different past projects, you can determine if a supplier can meet your specific needs.
Plymouth Spring is one such supplier that offers these critical resources and much more. Our skilled team has over 56 years’ experience providing custom fourslide stamping, wire forming and spring manufacturing services to suit diverse applications. To learn more about these services and their specific capabilities, we invite you to download our latest eBooks.
Plymouth Spring is an ISO 9001:2008 certified company that also adheres to several other industrial standards; we aim to ensure customer satisfaction by providing the highest quality products. Visit our Portfolio Page to view examples of our completed work, and be sure to contact us if you have any questions.